The Legal Services Division (LSA) of the Michigan Department of State (MDOS) is seeking qualified Harvard undergraduate interns. The LSA is a part of the Executive Office of the Michigan secretary of state and works closely with senior staff to support the secretary of state’s major initiatives, investigations, and policy development.
Employing more than 2,000 workers, the Department of State is the oldest department within Michigan state government and is administered by the secretary of state. The secretary of state serves as the chief election officer and chief motor vehicle administrator for the state’s 10 million residents and is a voting member of several state boards and commissions.
Following the 2018 elections, Michigan’s Secretary of State’s office is moving forward in new and dynamic ways.
In 2018, Michigan voters overwhelmingly passed Proposal 2, a ballot initiative which transferred the power to draw the state’s congressional and legislative districts from the state legislature to a 13-member independent redistricting commission.
This full-time position will be located in Lansing or Detroit from early June to August (approximately 10 weeks). Office hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Opportunities are available to work with the ideal candidate(s) to identify specific area(s) of interest and collectively curate an internship portfolio.
Interns will support the work of the LSA through:
- Performing various qualitative and quantitative research tasks.
- Working collaboratively with research team and other interns to further mission-oriented goals.
- Synthesizing pertinent facts and issues from large amounts of information/data.
- Disseminating findings into clearly written reports.
- Performing duties as required.
We are seeking applicants with the following qualifications/skills:
- Demonstrated interest in public policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Some prior experience in research and/or analytics.
- Comfort working with large datasets.
- Highly organized, self-directed, and resourceful.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of database language (SQL, R) a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator or InDesign a plus.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The MDOS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
Finalists may be asked to submit the additional following materials:
- Most recent transcript
- Writing sample
You may address your cover letter to Anna Lee, HR Director, Michigan Department of State.