**Applicants to the Director’s Internship program must also apply here:https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/detroit/jobs/2296905/graduate-internship?keywords=grad&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs**
The City of Detroit is seeking energetic undergraduate students for its Summer Internship program. Summer Interns will report directly to the Mayor’s Senior Staff and work on projects in the following areas: (1) Community & Economic Development; (2) Public Health & Safety; (3) Administration & Central Services; (4) Transportation & Infrastructure; and (5) Technology & Finance.
Summer Interns will be afforded a meaningful opportunity to learn about public service, policy-making, and the operations of local government. The City of Detroit is experiencing rapid growth and development. Summer Interns will be submerged into a range of issues which impact the quality of life for all Detroit residents.
Key responsibilities of Undergraduate Summer Interns will include:
- Performing diverse project duties and/or administrative tasks depending on the specific department and job assignment.
- Presenting research and updates on key policy issues to senior-level staff members.
- Attending community meetings, public hearings, and press conferences and preparing briefing materials for staff meetings and strategy-planning sessions.
Timing and Compensation
The Program will begin on June 3rd, 2019 and run through July 31st, 2019. Participants are expected to work for the entire duration of the summer program. The Program will be unpaid; however, the City of Detroit can support students who wish to apply for funding at their home schools.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence as evidenced by professional success, academic honors, leadership ability, extracurricular activities, and involvement in community or public service.
- Be enthusiastic about public service and city government.
- Embody strong personal character and conviction.
- We seek a broad range of academic majors; in fact, regardless of your major there’s an opportunity for you.
In your Statement of Interest, please mention:
- Why you are interested in working for the City of Detroit
- Your prior exposure to or interest in local government policy-making
- The skills you are seeking to develop in the program
- Project area of interest
**Please note that finalists may also be asked to submit an unofficial transcript.**