Our goal is to increase power in marginalized, predominantly Black communities. We agree with the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. when he said, “Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love.” We operate with the following 5 core beliefs:
- The key to effective civic engagement is understanding, respecting and supporting local infrastructure.
- Black voters matter not only on election day, but on the 364 days between election days as well. We support individuals and organizations that are striving to obtain social justice throughout the year.
- Black voters matter *everywhere*, including rural counties and smaller cities/towns that are often ignored by candidates, elected officials, political parties and the media.
- In order for Black voters to matter, we must utilize authentic messaging which speaks to our issues, connects with our hopes and affirms our humanity.
- The leadership, talent and commitment demonstrated by Black women in particular must receive recognition and, more importantly, *investment* in order to flourish and multiply.
BVM is an equal opportunity employer. BVM prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.
Internships Descriptions: Each of these internship opportunities are Atlanta-based, unless otherwise indicated. They will take place from late May/early June to early/mid-August (or, approximately 10 weeks). You will be expected to join the BVM central team in the office from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day of the work week, but there will often be opportunities to work from home (in the Atlanta area).
Georgia Voter Registration Intern
- Assist the BVM Georgia State Coordinator with voter registration drive
- Coordinate with community-based partner organizations in 10 counties
- Provide data-entry support for new registrations
- Moderate amount of in-state travel is expected (10%-20% time) as the intern will occasionally participate and/or help implement community activities
- Will assist with collecting and summarizing data related to BVM’s impact.
- Successful intern will have knowledge of statistics, survey design and/or polling techniques
- Experience with analyzing voter turnout data preferred
- Will work with the BVM Political Director
- Will assist the BVM Communications Director and Communications Manager with messaging related to BVM’s activities as well as amplifying the work of community-based partners in 10 states.
- Assist with the development and distribution of press releases
- Help monitor social media of national, state and local partners
- Help create and disseminate flyers, one-pagers, reports and other materials
- Help implement training activities for community-based partners (webinars, in-person workshops, etc)
Relational Organizing Tools Intern
- Help to facilitate usage of various technology tools and online portals related to relational organizing (i.e. MyRVP, Motivote, Ballot Ready, etc)
- Assist with training community-based partners
- Review data related to usage of various tools