About the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
The Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) promotes the well-being of immigrant communities. Under the de Blasio administration, we have prioritized three broad goals: enhance the economic, civic and social integration of immigrant New Yorkers; facilitate access to justice for immigrant New Yorkers; and advocate for continued immigration reforms at all levels of government in order to eliminate inequities that impact New York’s immigrant communities. From creating a municipal ID program (IDNYC) for all New Yorkers, to launching an immigration legal services program that provides free and safe legal support for every immigrant New Yorker in their neighborhood and in their language, our initiatives and programs help millions of immigrants build safer, more stable, and more economically viable lives in New York City. We are dedicated to making New York City a safe and open community for all who live here, regardless of immigration status.
Interns at the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs will work alongside designated internal teams to provide programmatic and administrative support. Interns should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment, in support of the work streams corresponding to our various programs. The intern will finish his/her tenure having gained broad experience in various aspects of MOIA’s internal operations, heightened knowledge of local immigrant needs and services, and exposure to the workings of city government. Past internship opportunities have included working with our Digital Communications, Language Access, Volunteer Services and Legal Initiatives teams.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assistance with data collection, entry and analysis
- Creation and drafting of social media content
- Analysis of reports and agency information
- Research of best practices, community needs, social media strategies, etc.
- Coordination and support of trainings and working groups, including preparation and delivery of materials
- Attendance and support at community events as a representative of the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Assistance with promotion efforts of MOIA / IDNYC programs and initiatives
- Editing of memos, team notes, or correspondence
- Maintenance and upkeep of team protocols, agreements, and/or other shared documents
- Performing additional administrative and project tasks, as needed
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel in all five boroughs
- Language skills preferred
- Flexibility in schedule preferred