**New to 2018**
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a non-profit organization that uses organizing, engagement and public awareness to address some of our nation’s most pressing challenges. We work with public and private partners to build tools and campaigns that turn great ideas into action. Civic Nation houses a growing number of large-scale public awareness and organizing initiatives, including: It’s On Us, The United State of Women, College Promise Campaign, Reach Higher, Better Make Room, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, Undivided and #VoteTogether.
ERASE THE HATE INITIATIVE
Civic Nation has developed a new initiative that aims to create a just and inclusive society. A just and inclusive society is defined as a place where members of all communities feel safe and are not the target of policies, words or actions that discriminate based on identity.
In support of this goal, Civic Nation will serve as the exclusive non-profit partner to Erase the Hate, a campaign founded by NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment to fight hate and discrimination in America. Powered by one of the country’s most prolific and effective storytellers, Erase the Hate offers a platform and megaphone to those fighting for acceptance, tolerance and inclusion. Erase the Hate-related promos and programming will air on the linear networks and digital extensions of channels in the cable entertainment group, including USA, Syfy, Bravo, Oxygen, Universal Kids and E!
Through this partnership, Civic Nation is leveraging the campaign's reach to achieve the following goals:
- Recruit and train volunteers to promote tolerance in their local communities effectively.
- Support cultural influencers (writers, actors, media executives) in their efforts to promote tolerance effectively.
- Increase public denouncements of hate / engagement in promoting inclusivity.
- Prevent justification of violence against at-risk communities; reduce content that increases risk.
- Increase Erase the Hate’s reach for promoting tolerance.
This is an exciting position for someone who is interested in learning about Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and the ways in which non-profits and CSR teams work together to make the largest impact possible.
- Support the program team in creating a comprehensive plan to build a coalition of national, state and local organizations engaged in work that explicitly or implicitly is geared at ending hate, fostering tolerance, or protecting people against discrimination;
- Research and help maintain a database of national, state and local organizations for Erase the Hate’s website that includes what these organizations do to combat hate, where they are located, how people can volunteer, how people can donate, and upcoming events;
- Help identify people and organizations around the country working to end hate and build tolerance so that their stories can be elevated as part of the Changemaker program;
- Review applicants for the Discretionary Fund;
- Help coordinate Erase the Hate events around the country, which will include identifying the location, partner organizations, timing;
- Assist the campaign program manager as needed.
We are seeking an intern who believes that people deserve equal rights and protections regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or physical ability -- and that an important part of advocating for and protecting these rights is culture change through media and grassroots efforts.
- Belief that supporting grassroots organizations is an important way to make change;
- Willingness to do extensive research on organizations engaged in work that explicitly or implicitly is geared at ending hate, fostering tolerance, or protecting people against discrimination;
- Enthusiasm about the potential for a corporate initiative to bolster grassroots efforts;
- Highly organized, efficient, deadline-oriented; and
- Strong writing skills.
For information about the Erase the Hate campaign: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nbcuniversal-cable-erase-the-hate-civic-nation-campaign-1202585245/