#cut50 -- an initiative of The Dream Corps -- is a national bipartisan effort to smartly and safely reduce America’s incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years. Through our campaigns for Legislation (#JusticeReformNOW) and Humanization (#BeyondPrisons), we aim to build popular support for practical, bipartisan solutions and transformative criminal justice policies.
#cut50 seeks motivated, tech-saavy, and organized interns to support our legislation and humanization efforts. Through policy research, web content development, media relations and event planning, the volunteers will play a supportive role in driving the national conversation for criminal justice reform.
The interns will work under the direction of the National Director and coordinate closely with #cut50 staff.
The interns should have strong written communication skills, policy research experience, some media relations experience and be eager to learn new digital skills.
- Working with the National Director and Policy Director on policy research for potential legislation
- Working with Deputy Director of Communications on media communications
- Working with National Director on collection and writing of stories for humanization campaign
- Research on various criminal justice topics and drafting of opinion editorials
- Drafting of content for website
- Participation in team meetings
Candidates must be comfortable working with a small, fast-paced team, able to efficiently handle multiple deadlines, and driven by a deep commitment to social justice. Ideal candidates are detail-oriented, enjoy establishing and maintaining systems and relationships, and have an eye for good storytelling.
Candidates should possess:
- Excellent writing and visual storytelling skills
- Interviewing and reporting skills
- Some experience or interest in media relations
- Deep commitment to economic and racial justice
- Accuracy and credibility
- Curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Flexibility and willingness to pitch in wherever needed