**New to 2018**
Summer Associate (Chicago, IL)
About Chicago Beyond
Chicago Beyond is a venture philanthropy fund that seeks to create positive, transformative change
in the lives of the least served youth in Chicago and beyond.
Chicago Beyond strives to identify the most disruptive community-born and led organizations that address two issues we see as the flip sides of the same coin—educational attainment and youth safety— to invest in, learn from, and, most importantly, to strategically support the growth of the organizations’ impact.
Since its inception, Chicago Beyond has launched several challenges. In its inaugural GO Innovate Challenge, it provided investments totaling $2.7 million to three organizations. For more information about Chicago Beyond and its inaugural challenge, please read the article below:
Our Summer Associates will work closely with the Chicago Beyond team to better achieve our mission to transform the lives of Chicago’s least served youth.
Summer Associates will engage in projects in one or more of our core focus areas:
• Invest, including projects such as building a sourcing strategy and exploration and identification of innovative ideas and organizations
• Learn, including projects such as integrating research findings and policy into organization-wide decision making and crafting Chicago Beyond’s dissemination strategy of research and organizational learnings
• Grow, including projects such as providing strategic support for existing non-profit investments
Summer Associates will be expected to own and drive several critical projects for the organization.
While the projects will vary in nature, they will have one thing in common – successful completion will enable Chicago Beyond to amplify its impact.
Summer Associates should expect to conduct research, complete interviews, collect data, perform financial modeling and analyses, and more. The Summer Associate will also create PowerPoint presentations and / or written reports that communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences.
• A passion for Chicago Beyond’s mission and objectives
• Comfort with ambiguity and an ever-changing environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong record of leadership and collaboration
• An aptitude for analytics and quantitative analysis
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of PowerPoint and Excel
• Record of strong academic performance
Why join Chicago Beyond
• We are a fast-moving start-up organization made up of a small but ambitious team looking to make a difference for the young people of Chicago
• You will be an integral member of the Chicago Beyond team and will have opportunities to participate and contribute to other Chicago Beyond initiatives
• Our strong culture of personal growth balances professional development goals and feedback with self-care and fun
• We work at the intersection of the public, private and non-profit sectors, interacting with nonprofits, businesses, government, and research institutions
Your statement of interest should include start and end dates, which focus area(s) you are interested in (invest, learn, grow) and answer two questions:
• What are your goals for the summer?
• What do you expect to contribute to the Chicago Beyond team?